One of the things you won’t want to miss out on when traveling in Southeast Asia is the food! Although the food and different delicacies are delicious all throughout Asia, the is something to be said for the more intense flavors and spices that seem to be used in the Southeast compared to the other parts of the country. It doesn’t matter if you are in the Philippines, Singapore or Thailand, there are many delicious dishes to enjoy throughout your many stops! Check out our list of some of our favorite must tries!
Dishes to Try In Different Places
- When In Indonesia– Indonesia is home to Nasi Goreng, which basically translates to fried rice. However it is not like the Chinese version of fried rice. Instead it is orange in color brought forth by a blend of spices and chili. Served with breakfast usually but can be enjoyed ANY part of the day. Simple, cheap and so tasty!
- When In Vietnam- Pho which is pronounced fuuuu, is a beyond delicious broth based soup. The broth is made with bones and meat choice. Next rice noodles, cilantro, onion ginger and cinnamon are added. Each bowl is served with a plate of fresh basil leaves, green onions, lime wedges & chili peppers so that the person enjoying it can season it to their exact liking. Trust us you will be glad you tried it.
- When In Thailand- Pad Thai is a dish knon very well in the U.S. many enjoy it in their favorite thai restaurants, but trying it in native Thailand is definitely a must and can be found for less than $1! Made of flat rice noodles, egg, spices meat or shrimp with a citrus zeest such as lime to add a little pizazz!
- Southeast Asia to Malaysia– Durian fruit is known for its STRONG very PUNGENT smell which deters most from trying the creamy, delicate fruit. Banned on public transportation because of its smell, if you can get past it you won’t be sorry! Durian fruit is grown & enjoyed throughout Southeast Asia but most find that the best fruit comes from Penang, Malaysia.
- When in Myanmar- A favorite of many in Myanmar, this rice noodle dish is made from catfish stock and spices such as coriander 7 lemongrass. It’s topped with crispy garnishes, hard boiled egg and served really hot!
Although there are so many great dishes to try when traveling throughout Southeast Asia, these are a few of our all time favorites by countries. We suggest researching the delicacies and dishes of where you will be visiting and making a list of different recipes to try. Part of the fun of traveling is experiencing the different cultures and food of where you visit. You never know you just may come home with a love for something you may never have thought, like durian fruit! We promise if you can get past the smell it’s a definite must try and delicious at that.